Right before New Years, my friend April sent me a link to a new January challenge. You may have heard of the mile a day challenge, right? Well, this is a similar idea called Janu-burpee. It’s simple. 30 burpees a day every day for the month of January.
Despite the fact that this exercise takes less than 3 minutes, it is insanely hard. I’m on Day 6, and every day, I am shocked at how challenging this is. Burpees are definitely a more intense exercise than running. They involve plyometric movements and even advanced athletes can’t do burpees for extended periods of time. You may be able to run for hours and hours, but 2 minutes of burpees will kick your ass.
You know how you know burpees are awesome? Because the most hardcore athletes always incorporate them into their workouts. Military, bootcamp, football teams. They’re all doing burpees on a regular basis. The good news is that burpees aren’t just for extreme athletes. They’re for everyone.
Here are 5 reasons you should learn to love this exercise.
- They burn a ton of calories. A burpee is a full body exercise and it is super high intensity. Research also shows that they help speed up your metabolism meaning you’ll burn more calories even after your three minutes of hell is over.
- You can do them anywhere. Well, almost. You may not want to drop and do 30 burpees in your office, but feel free to add these to any workout –in your home, in the gym, or even outside mid-run. You can even do burpees on vacation from your hotel room.
- They make you strong! It’s a full body exercise and every rep works your arms, chest, quads, glutes, hamstrings and abs. Gotta love an exercise that’s that efficient.
- They help with endurance. Even a few burpees is enough to get your heart rate up so they’re a great way to build endurance and shape up quickly – especially good after the holiday season.
- No equipment necessary. In fact, you don’t even really need shoes or workout gear. My husband did his 30 burpees in jeans the other day. I have also done mine in pyjamas in the living room.
Not sure how to do one? Check out this video for a simple how-to.
We’re just 1 week into January so feel free to join the challenge!