Running: my new part-time job

Running to do listI’ve got a great new job. Its fun, always challenging and I get to be outside. I keeps me active and the team is really supportive. The downside? The pay is terrible.

Seriously, training for a marathon is like having a part-time job. Lately, I feel my life is just two things: working (at my real, paying job) and running. Last week, I spent close to 10 hours running and training and my hours are only increasing.

As a result of all this time on my feet, there are all sorts of interesting side effects. And by interesting, I mean not that awesome.  I am generally a bit tired. I’m always hungry. I have new weird muscle stiffness pretty much daily.  My sweaty workout laundry far outnumbers my regular laundry and I now have two black toenails which I feel compelled to paint dark shades of nail polish so people don’t recoil in disgust when they see them. It is sandal season after all. And consequently, I’m slowly going broke from regular pedicures – ones in which I feel compelled to give a large tip to the poor woman that has to handle those gross toes and mangled runners feet. Sigh… Training for a marathon really isn’t very pretty.

But, I guess its all part of the process.

I flip flop between feeling totally prepared and completely terrified. On Sunday, my marathon training group at the Running Room ran an excellent 26K. It was a beautiful day and a great route but I totally hit a wall around the half marathon mark. That’s about the time my body decides it is done for the day. My water was just about done, my muscles were tired and I was ready to go eat lunch. Unfortunately, we were still 5K away from our destination.

This weekend, I signed up to run A Midsummer Night’s Run. This will be my second 30K race and my second longest run of my whole life. It will be a good test to see whether I’m on track with my training, or wildly unprepared. Let’s hope for the former.

9 Comments

1. hollyedejer August 14, 2013 / 11:18 pm

What a coincidence – I’ve also signed up for A Midsummer Night’s Run (my first 15K). Good luck with your training!

2. bclemmonsJr August 15, 2013 / 12:58 am

EEGADS! Another marathon runner. How do you guys do it? I think I’ll stick to short sprints with my normal workout.

3. Auntie Terri August 17, 2013 / 10:27 pm

Christy and I are doing two 10K’s in September. I’ve trained since January and am still slow. Christy has run two times and went 7.5 k in 40 miuntes…… oh to be young and thin. This week, I bought new shoes and Oakley running glasses. That will make me faster, right?? You are an inspiration, Miranda. Good luck with your runs.

• Miranda August 19, 2013 / 9:52 am

Amazing! I’m sure you’re not slow. Everyone thinks they are slower than they really are. And yes, great running gear is absolutely key. I am a firm believer than you run better when you feel like you look great. Fake it til you make it, right?

4. lotusandcedar August 18, 2013 / 10:11 pm

Have you asked your RR clinic instructor how best to deal with your black toe nails? You don’t want to get infected b4 the STWM !!

• Miranda August 19, 2013 / 9:51 am

I haven’t… I never even considered the possibility of them getting infected. They look completely normal – just black. No pain or anything. I will ask though! Thanks for the tip!

• Tim August 19, 2013 / 3:13 pm

It’s totally normal and a sort of “rite of passage” for people who start long distance running. I have never heard of anyone, myself included, getting an infection from it. It’s just one of those things people have to deal with when the decide to start running farther and farther. Though, I now wear a half size larger in shoes by choice and seldom encounter it anymore, even doing 105+km a week.

• Miranda August 19, 2013 / 3:54 pm

Interesting. I always get this issue on my second toe – which is the longest one. I’m wondering if bumping up a half size would solve the problem. Thanks for the tip, and commiserating. Black toenails + sandal season makes me self conscious!

5. Not Just a Mother Runner August 19, 2013 / 11:31 pm

Wow I never thought to link my black toenail to my running!! I’ve just been asking myself where the heck did I stab my toe? DOH!
    Thanks 🙂