How to defeat winter

Nike+ Central Toronto Run Club

Which one of these runners isn’t dressed properly for the weather?

On Tuesday night, I did a short run with the Nike+ Central Run Club. I wasn’t anticipating a big group. Afterall, it was -15 and felt like -22 with the wind.

I arrived to find a brave group of 7 ready to run. That was, without question, the coldest outdoor winter run I’ve ever done. After a few failed attempts, I think I actually layered properly so I wasn’t too cold – unlike one member of our running team who did the whole 5km IN SHORTS! Only my quads and face were cold and by the time we made it back to Starbucks for our warm post-run beverage, I sounded like I was drunk because my lips were frozen. I am seriously considering getting a balaclava for these intense outdoor runs. Running in this weather is crazy. A big shout-out to everyone who came out on Tuesday. We are hardcore.

7 Comments

1. Graham M. January 24, 2013 / 9:41 am

If you are choosing to wear a balaclava while running, you might consider also holding a sack with a dollar sign on it to complete the image of a jewel thief.

2. Jack L January 24, 2013 / 2:58 pm

Bring kleenex if you are running with a balaclava. I found it hard to breathe wearing one and it gets disgusting if you get a runny nose during your run.

• Miranda January 25, 2013 / 11:30 am

Thanks for the tip! We are intense! This winter running is definitely not for everyone!

3. Molly @ A Fresh Start For Molly January 25, 2013 / 1:39 pm

Definitely invest in a balaclava. I wear the Under Armour Cold Gear Hood and I love it. -26 is the lowest temp I’ve run in so far but it’s looking like tonight might beat that record. Good luck from a fellow Canuck!

• Miranda January 25, 2013 / 3:05 pm

Alright. Convinced! I’m getting one. I’m going to look like a ninja! Or a bank robber… haha

4. Mary January 25, 2013 / 8:35 pm

Good job braving the cold! Coldest I have done was -20c but that was during the day and sunny out!